apocalyptic

Into The Forest

9/27/2015



Title: 
Into the forest

Author: 

Jean Hegland


★★☆☆☆
2 out of 5 stars


Set in the near-future, Into the Forest is a powerfully imagined novel that focuses on the relationship between two teenage sisters living alone in their Northern California forest home.

Over 30 miles from the nearest town, and several miles away from their nearest neighbor, Nell and Eva struggle to survive as society begins to decay and collapse around them. No single event precedes society's fall. There is talk of a war overseas and upheaval in Congress, but it still comes as a shock when the electricity runs out and gas is nowhere to be found. The sisters consume the resources left in the house, waiting for the power to return. Their arrival into adulthood, however, forces them to reexamine their place in the world and their relationship to the land and each other.


This thought provoking book tells the story of two young sisters barricaded at home as society slowly collapses, sounds interesting, right? And in a way it is, I mean, I could imagine society going to hell as it does in Into the forest, with basic services stopping to work one day and people going on with their life hoping it was momentary then realizing after a while they were gonna have to adapt/change in order for things to get better. But, what made me dislike this book was the fact that it lacks action, it evolves really slowly and the relationship between the two sisters becomes too weird -disturbing- for my taste (I won't spoil it for you, but lets just say I was reading this book while my twin sister was sitting next to me and I just had to stop, close the book, turn on the tv and distract myself with something that would take my mind away of what I had read... just not for me).




You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

This week's popular post