book review

Eleanor & Park

9/27/2015



Title: 
Eleanor & Park

Author: 

Rainbow Rowell


★★☆☆☆
2.5 out of 5 stars


Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor
... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.


I don't know if maybe I expected too much from this book, but to me it was just ok. I mean, I like the writing style but the characters fell flat and the plot wasn't that interesting. To be honest, I kind of hated Eleanor most of the time, the fact she was just so passive annoyed the hell out of me; I wanted grab her by the shoulders and just shake her until I got her to do something about her situation (please Eleanor, get a job, move out... do something!!!!), Park was more like-able than Eleanor, but he was just too good in my opinion.

I didn't quite get why the main characters were in love, it was a little bit baffling how they don't care about each other and then BAM! They are so deeply -madly- in love without there being anything in between. Also, at some point I thought there were too many things going on at the same time, but nothing felt well developed.

I didn't hate this book, it was just "meh".




You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

This week's popular post