elise kova

Review: Air Awakens

1/12/2016




Title: 
Air Awakens
(Air Awakens #1)

Author: 
Elise Kova


★★
5 out of 5 stars


A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable magic bond...

The Solaris Empire is one conquest away from uniting the continent, and the rare elemental magic sleeping in seventeen-year-old library apprentice Vhalla Yarl could shift the tides of war.

Vhalla has always been taught to fear the Tower of Sorcerers, a mysterious magic society, and has been happy in her quiet world of books. But after she unknowingly saves the life of one of the most powerful sorcerers of them all—the Crown Prince Aldrik—she finds herself enticed into his world. Now she must decide her future: Embrace her sorcery and leave the life she’s known, or eradicate her magic and remain as she’s always been. And with powerful forces lurking in the shadows, Vhalla’s indecision could cost her more than she ever imagined.

My fellow readers, how am I to start writing this review without fangirling all over the place? is there even a way to do so? Ok, here we go...


In a world where magic is dreaded for there are sorcerers with the ability to manipulate the 4 elements known to men -air, water, fire, and earth- a curious girl might be the answer to winning a long existing war between empires. Air Awakens tells the story of Vhalla Yarl, a young bookworm that discovers there's great power within herself. Vhalla is smart and has a great passion for books, she works hard and as the rest of the population fears magic, when she discovers she might have to get involved with it, she tries to deny her true self, but how will she manage to do so when there's so much to see, read, learn and do? 

To be honest, the premise itself reminded me a little to a certain trilogy I have read, reviewed and considered over hyped but I actually liked this book better for I think the way the story is told makes it engaging and spellbinding, I couldn't stop reading and ended up devouring this book, I got lost in the world the author created and decided to stay there. It is a very cozy universe.

The characters are endearing, Vhalla -the main character- is smart and I deeply appreciated it. She was different from other YA heroines I have read of recently, with so much potential and a higher self-esteem. Her emotions and reactions feel genuine, she is very likable and I couldn't help but to connect with her. Prince Aldrik -the male protagonist- isn't an annoying cocky manwh*re unlike some other princes in the YA universe, on the opposite, he is cold and feared, a complicated character that I couldn't help but love.

The nature of Aldrik and Vhalla's relationship is complicated (not going to spoil it), they begin by trying to be friends first, and then only time (or in this case, the rest of the books in this series) will tell. In case you were wondering, there's no insta-love in this story the characters barely know each other, much to say like, which makes it interesting.

Overall I loved Kova's debut novel, the combination of the world-building, the characters, and the action made me like this book until the very last page. There is so much more to say about this book, but I won't do it on fear of spoiling it, please consider this one as your next read.   

Did you like this review? Please leave a comment below and let me know what you think.







Ps. I have been publishing some quotes of Air Awakens on my Instagram, and guess who liked them?






You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

This week's popular post