book review

Review: Clockwork Angel

3/21/2016




Title: 
Clockwork Angel
(The Infernal Devices #1)

Author: 
Cassandra Clare

★★★
4 out of 5 stars

In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. 

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...



This was my first time reading a book from Cassandra Clare, I have never picked anything from her before, why? probably because of the hype, I decided to avoid the author since I wasn't sure she would meet up to my expectations, she is not quite up there yet, but I have to admit this book kept me entertained for the majority of it. 

I have to admit that even though this is a 4-star rating I had little problems with the book, the writing is not the best and at some point, I felt it could be 100+ pages shorter. It also took me a while to get used to the story and to even like some of the characters, to me Tessa was the best one, but when it came to the male characters I wasn't much of a fan. Jem is likable, he is a nice guy but lacks some personality, Will has all the personality in the world but is a real a**hole and a cliché at that, why? Well, I don't even need to get further into this series to know he has a golden heart. 

Let's go back to Tessa, shall we? I do like her and am expecting her to become an awesome kick-ass woman, it would honestly make her character shine for me. I felt very attached to her, I like how the circumstances are obliging her to grow up and face reality when she was more used to only thinking instead of acting. Oh boy, I do like her because she -in a way- reminds me so much of myself. I have my hopes high right here, I want her to become one of those characters that are ahead of their era and becomes a symbol of what people -in this case, females- could be/do.

The story itself feels slow even though many things happen, I remember looking at my progress and thinking "Wow, I am just 35% done with this book and I want it to be over already, I wonder what else is going to happen when there really isn't much to tell by the looks of it" but then BAM! it picks up, surprisingly I found myself reading faster and getting more and more into the story. I can honestly say the second half of the book is the best, and that if it weren't for it, my rating would be a lot lower. Not to mention the epilogue, it made me want to get up in the middle of the night just to go buy the next book at my local bookstore. Yes, it is that great.


I shall continue with this series and am hoping some great things will happen with Tessa, also, I am intrigued about how will things turn out and what the angel around Tessa's neck is, I am not much of a fan of the romance but we will see how that turns out.

Have you read anything from Cassandra Clare? What are your thoughts on this series? 
Should I read The Mortal Instruments? Let me know in the comments below.

Happy reading,

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

This week's popular post