book review

The Dream Thieves

10/24/2015



Title: 
The Dream Thieves
(The Raven Cycle #2)

Author: 

Maggie Stiefvater


★★☆☆
3 out of 5 stars


Ronan Lynch has secrets. Some he keeps from others. Some he keeps from himself.

One secret: Ronan can bring things out of his dreams.

And sometimes he's not the only one who wants those things.


Ronan is one of the raven boys—a group of friends, practically brothers, searching for a dead king named Glendower, who they think is hidden somewhere in the hills by their elite private school, Aglionby Academy. The path to Glendower has long lived as an undercurrent beneath town. But now, like Ronan's secrets, it is beginning to rise to the surface—changing everything in its wake.


This review contains spoilers regarding “The Raven Boys”, the first book on “The Raven Cycle”.
You have been warned.

The Dream Thieves picks up where The Raven Boys left, with Blue and the boys still on the hunt for the Welsh king, the ley lines awakened, Adam de attaching from the group after his sacrifice, and Ronan pulling objects out of his dreams. It isn’t an action packed book and to be honest the story itself is slow paced which at times gets to be a little bit annoying, but there is just so much magic that I can’t not keep reading.

We are introduced to new antagonists that are very different from each other and have with different goals that pin point to the same place, or in this case, person: Ronan Lynch. After this book Ronan has become my favorite character of the saga, we get to know much more about the way he thinks, and his secrets are so juicy! I just felt so much for this boy.

But I have to be honest and say that even though I loved Ronan, the book itself doesn’t really add anything important to the hunt, the story is too centric and at moments the rest of the characters feel purposeless at times (Noah), the relationship between Blue and Gansey barely develops, and Adam’s sacrifice feels so unimportant even though I know how significant it was. I missed how the storyline on the Raven Boys was vaster, with so many things happening all at the same time, all pointing to the rest of the series, but with The Dream Thieves I felt I hit the pause button.


The character development of Ronan absolutely made this book for me. I got to know much more about him that I couldn’t help but fall in love and wish I could pulling things out of my dreams too (books, I would pull out books!). Seriously, if it weren’t for Ronan I would have dropped the series.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

This week's popular post