book review

Why We Broke Up

11/16/2015



Title: 

Why We Broke Up

Author: 
Daniel Handler


Illustrator:
Maira Kalman


★★★
4 out of 5 stars


I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.


Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.


Min, according to Ed, is an artsy girl she is quite different from the other girls he has dated, she likes old movies and lattes. Ed is a basketball player whom likes to say “no offense” after actually offending someone, and he does it quite a lot, he is absolutely sexy and a player. They come from different worlds and their relationship is destined to fail.

The story of their break up is told from Min’s perspective; the book itself is a really long letter to Ed, where Min exposes all the reasons why they didn’t work out as a couple and gives back all the items that remind her of him. I liked how the main character acknowledges there’s more than one reason behind it all, that things were more complex than just one thing gone wrong; I thought that was very realistic.

As much as I liked this book, it has many flaws, so I am divided about how I feel about it, part of me thinks it was predictable and obvious, the side characters were non important, not to say the main character (Min) was exhausting and her constant old-movie-references felt a little bit forced. But then, the other part of me was flooded with nostalgia, and that part overpowered the former.


Maybe I was too influenced by my own history that I couldn’t see past it, but I just couldn’t shut off my own emotions, and to be honest I think that if I ever re read this book my rating might go down.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

This week's popular post