book review

Review: Winter

2/12/2016




Title: 
Winter
(The Lunar Chronicles #4)

Author: 
Marissa Meyer


★★☆☆
3 out of 5 stars


Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?


I am not a fan of the Lunar Chronicles, part of me struggles to see why people love it so  much. I even read all the books patiently waiting for the series to get better, hoping I would find out what it was that I missing and get to love this series as much as everybody else seems to.

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with the story since the very beginning, I have said it before and I will say it again, all the books in the Lunar Chronicles follow the exact same formula: heroine that excels in doing something, with a strong female figure -for good or bad- and a charming love interest. I had high expectations after finished reading Cress, I thought Winter was going to be the exception to this rule and it was highly disappointing to find out that even though her character was slightly different from the rest - because that girl is crazy- Winter felt like a stranger in what was supposed to be her story, and now that I think about it, she was useless to Cinder's cause, she was her looks, a public figure that speaks of kindness and change but doesn't do anything herself.

Truth be told, I thought this book dragged too much, it was 800+ pages long and the characters were just running around talking about revolution  but what kind of revolution forms and rises in just mere days? Was it all a distraction so the reader would fail to notice the lack of world building and how weak the relationships actually were? I thought Cinder's group was funny and the way they acted when they were all together, were some of my favorite parts during the series, I laughed countless times, however it wasn't enough for it to add so depth to the story itself, I still can't understand how all the couples managed to be so crazy in love when they barely had time to talk since they got separated so many times.

Can we also talk about how shallow it was for the villain to be a woman who hates herself because she is scarred? I noticed how important it was to the cause for people to see Levana as she actually was: "ugly". Her looks didn't make her less or more of a person, her actions did, why is it so important for her to look broken/scarred in order for her to be evil? I get that Lunars are shallow, but can someone please explain me why? Cause the non-existent world-building failed to do so.


Overall, I thought Winter was the weakest book in the series, too long and too shallow, it didn't add meaning to the relationships between the characters, but if you were looking for a happy ending this book will certainly has it. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

This week's popular post