adult

Review: Mercy Thompson Series (books 1-4)

2/13/2016




Mercy Thompson Series
books reviewed:
1. Moon Called
2. Blood Bound
3. Iron Kissed
4. Bone Crossed

Author: 
Patricia Briggs


★★★☆☆
3.5 out of 5 stars


Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water...


This is one of those series that I avoided for a long time due to its sexualized covers -which I shall discuss more on a future Judge it by its cover post-  but after reading several reviews pointing out how the covers were misleading, I decided to give it a shot and here I am. You might be wondering why there's only one review, well you see, I read the first four books front to back one after the other, so it is a little bit hard for me to separate them without constantly referring to one another or repeating myself. So I will start with a quote:



When we are first introduced to Mercy on Moon Called, the author describes her as a strong hardworking independent woman with a shapeshifting power. She is funny, a smart ass, knows her limits, excels at being a mechanic, and when she gets closely involved with a death-threatening paranormal mysteries she has no other option but to solve them.  I like Mercy even though she has the tendency of putting herself at risk over and over again.

One of the things I found hard to get used to was to the fact that she had to be submissive when she was around werewolves, especially male ones. Apparently werewolves are stuck in another century and think females are meant to be as strong or important as their male partner is, I thought this was retrograde thinking and Mercy herself says it several times, I understand it works for the story and was meant to be like that but it feels as if Mercy was the only important female in this alpha male world.

When it comes to the romance I really liked what the author did with the love triangle and this might be a first time for me. Mercy has to choose between what she once considered the love of her life, and her stubborn neighbor, both of them seem to respect Mercy and once I moved through this series I realized it was obvious whom she was gonna choose, but her reasons, her way of thinking about it was very grounded.

I really enjoyed reading about Mercy's adventures in the first two books, the third one was a little bit boring but the ending was shocking enough to make me want to keep reading, but when I made it to the fourth book I found it hard to believe Mercy hadn't really change even though there's more than enough reasons for her to do so. Which made me think if there's a possibility for the story to get better, she has already been hunted by a demon, threatened and hunted by the vampires, solved a murder, chosen between two extremely hot werewolves that fancied her and fed her cat.

My rating for this series is 3.5 out of 5, where the first two books are a solid 4 and the other two are a 3.

Did you like this review? Have you guys read this series? Should I give the rest of the books a chance? Let me know what you think in the comments below and happy reading.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

This week's popular post